- 4 chicken portions on the bone
- 600g small new potatoes
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 red & 2 yellow peppers, cut into chunks
- Salt, to season
- Fresh oregano, to garnish
For the spice rub:
- 4 long red chillies, mild to medium heat, seeds removed, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 25g root ginger, chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Make several diagonal deep cuts through the skin and meat of each piece of chicken. This will allow for the rub to penetrate the meat and the heat to reach the bone, speeding up the cooking time.
- Place all the spice rub ingredients into a mini food processor and blend to a smooth paste.
- Place the scored chicken portions into a bowl, pour in the rub and coat the meat well, pushing the paste into all the cuts. Set to one side and leave to marinate for at least 15-20 minutes.
- Whilst the chicken is marinating, set a pan of lightly salted water on the hob and partly cook the potatoes for 4-5 minutes. Drain and set to one side
- .Preheat the oven to 220°C/gas 7.
- Heat the vegetable oil in the cast iron casserole over a low to medium heat on the hob. Lift the chicken pieces from the marinade, shake off any excess back into the bowl and retain for later. Add the chicken pieces to the hot oil, sear on all sides for 4-5 minutes then transfer to a plate.
- Add any retained marinade to the casserole, add the potatoes and peppers and coat everything in the pan juices.
- Return the seared chicken pieces to the casserole, combining them with the vegetables. Season well with salt and place into the oven to roast for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle over some freshly torn oregano and take to the table for serving in the cast iron casserole.