- 125g unsalted butter
- 150g golden caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 lime
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 50ml Pimm’s
- 150g self-raising flour
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Pimm’s
- 1 tbsp milk
- 6 small strawberries, sliced
- 12 mint leaves
- Line a 12-hole muffin pan with cupcake cases. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4.
- To make the cupcakes, cream the butter and sugar with the zest until light and fluffy. Combine the eggs and Pimm’s then add one third of this to the butter mixture with 1 tablespoon of flour, mix well and repeat twice. Add the remaining flour and mix well.
- Divide the cupcake mix between the cupcake cases and level the tops.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until they are golden on top and spring back when lightly pressed with a finger. Remove from the pan, place on a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, beat all the ingredients together until smooth, transfer the mixture to a piping bag with a star nozzle and pipe onto the cakes. Top with strawberry slices and use a small sharp knife to push a mint leaf into the top of each cake.