- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 10 cloves
- 2 tsp mixed peppercorns, lightly bruised
- 1 tsp juniper berries, lightly bruised
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre cider vinegar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1kg jam sugar
- 2kg small firm pears, peeled with stalks left in place
- Sterilise the jars. Place everything except the pears in a small jelly pan and warm gently until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the pears to the pan and simmer for 15 minutes or until tender. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and place in a colander over the pan to drain.
- Boil the liquid rapidly for about 15 minutes until reduced by half and slightly thickened. Pack the pears into the jars and cover with the hot syrup. Seal the jars, allow to cool completely, label and store in a cool, dry place for at least a month.
Tip: Our 4.5 Litre Maslin Pan is ideal for this recipe. Best eaten within 6 months of pickling.