- 1.5l chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g pearl barley
- 5tbsp white wine
- bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded & chopped
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- Simmer the pearl barley and stock in a medium pan, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Place the wine and spring onions in a large pan, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the courgette and chilli and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Pour the stock and pearl barley into the large pan with the vegetables and add the tomato purée. Bring it to the boil then simmer for about 25 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally.
Tip: If you prefer less ‘crunchy’ vegetables, increase the cooking time at each stage.