- 1.5l chicken or vegetable stock
- 100g pearl barley
- 5tbsp white wine
- bunch of spring onions, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 chilli, deseeded & chopped
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- Simmer the pearl barley and stock in a medium pan, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes.
- Place the wine and spring onions in a large pan, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the courgette and chilli and simmer for another 5 minutes, stirring a couple of times.
- Pour the stock and pearl barley into the large pan with the vegetables and add the tomato purée. Bring it to the boil then simmer for about 25 minutes, continuing to stir occasionally.
Tip: If you prefer less ‘crunchy’ vegetables, increase the cooking time at each stage.
Prue Leith’s Hot & Sour Soup with Prawns
Lemony Chicken Soup with Leeks and Barley for Remoska Tria
Leftover Sunday Dinner Soup with Crispy Bacon
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo and Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut
Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato & Turmeric Soup with Sriracha and Coconut Yoghurt