- 25g softened butter
- 150g panettone or brioche, sliced
- 100g Christmas pudding or Christmas cake
- 300ml milk
- 150ml single cream
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Extract
- 40g caster sugar
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest
- Use a teaspoon of butter to grease a 1 litre baking dish. Spread the rest of the butter over the slices of panettone or brioche. Cut these into triangles and arrange in the baking dish, crumbling the Christmas pudding or Christmas cake into the gaps.
- Beat together the milk, cream, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar, allowing a few moments for the sugar to dissolve. Pour into the baking dish through a strainer (to remove any gloopy egg!). Sprinkle the lemon zest over the surface. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Remove the covering from the baking dish and bake the pudding for 35-40 minutes, until puffed up and golden brown. Serve immediately.
Tips: You could use normal white bread instead of panettone or brioche. If you like, sprinkle the surface with a little freshly ground nutmeg before baking, instead of (or as well as!) the lemon zest. Remember, you can prepare this pudding several hours before baking to get ahead.