- 125g pancetta, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, steamed
- 100g finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 240g tinned artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 leg of lamb, butterfly-boned (ask your butcher to prepare this for you)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for rubbing
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F.
- Mix the pancetta, garlic, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a food processor until combined. Add artichokes and pulse a few more times without allowing the mixture to become smooth.
- Lay the lamb flat, skin side down, then spread on the artichoke mix, leaving about 1cm around edges. Tightly roll the lamb and string-tie every 5cm along its length.
- Rub the skin with olive oil and season well. Place on a rack in a roasting pan, pour the water into the pan and roast for 30 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F and roast for a further 75 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes, carve and serve with mint sauce.