For the cake
- 235g plain flour
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 250g golden caster sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 95ml vegetable oil
- Juice and zest of 1 large orange (you need 135ml juice)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
For the frosting
- 350g Lakeland Classic White Frosting
- A few drops of Star Kay White Orange Extract, to taste
- 25g chopped pistachio nuts
- Adjust the oven shelf to its lowest position and preheat the oven to 160°C/gas 3.
- Place the flour, mixed spice, baking powder, salt and 120g of the sugar in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks, oil and orange juice until combined and creamy. Pour into the centre of the flour mixture, add the orange zest and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- With a clean whisk and in a clean, dry bowl, whisk the egg whites until foamy. Add the cream of tartar and whisk until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar, a tablespoon at a time, and whisk until stiff peaks form and the mixture is glossy, like meringue mixture.
- Using a metal spoon, fold 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the cake batter then gently fold in the remaining mixture until combined. Pour into the ungreased pan and bake for 1 hour, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Place the pan on a wire cooling rack and leave to cool for 10 minutes before turning out and leaving to cool completely.
- Mix the frosting with the orange extract and spread evenly over the cake using a palette knife then sprinkle the pistachio nuts on top.
To ensure a smooth finish, dip the palette knife in hot water and dry it before spreading the frosting on your cake.