For the madeleines
- A little softened butter, for greasing
- 2 medium eggs
- 90g caster sugar
- 90g butter, melted and cooled
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- Juice and pulp of 1 passion fruit
- 90g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 80g icing sugar
- 1 tbsp orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 190°C, fan 170°C, Gas 5. Grease the madeleine tin with a little butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until frothy. Stir in the melted butter, orange zest and passion fruit juice and pulp. Mix the flour and baking powder together, then sift into the bowl, mixing well.
- Spoon the mixture into the madeleine tin (around 2 level tablespoons into each). Bake for 14-15 minutes, until lightly tinged with brown. Cool in the tin for 3-4 minutes, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate, mix the icing sugar with the orange juice until smooth. Dip the madeleines into the icing, or drizzle it over them. Leave until set.
Tip: Make sure that you don’t overfill the madeleine tin – the mixture should be barely level with the indentations.