For the cake
- 150g butter, plus extra to grease
- 150g caster sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 100g Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 tsp Nielsen-Massey® Orange Blossom Water
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g instant polenta
- Pinch salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp Nielsen-Massey® Orange Blossom Water
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- Fine shreds of orange zest
- A few toasted flaked almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease a 20cm PushPan or deep round cake tin with a little butter. If using a regular cake tin, line with baking paper.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar together in a large mixing bowl until light in texture, then gradually beat in the eggs. Stir in the Greek-style yoghurt, orange blossom water, ground almonds, polenta, salt and baking powder, mixing thoroughly.
- Transfer to the cake tin and level the surface. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 55 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack. Remove the baking paper, if used.
- To decorate, put the orange blossom water into a saucepan with the caster sugar, 4 tablespoons of water and the orange zest. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves, then boil for 1 minute. Spoon over the surface of the warm cake and scatter with toasted flaked almonds.
Tips: Check the label on the baking powder to make sure that it’s gluten-free – most varieties are.