For the rolls
- 3 x 165g balls of Ooni’s Classic Pizza Dough
- 6 tbsp Ooni’s Classic Pizza Sauce
- 200g shredded mozzarella
- 100g pepperoni, finely sliced
- Handful of basil leaves, torn
For the herb butter
- 100g salted butter, melted
- 2 tbsp thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Ooni’s Ultimate Pizza Sauce
- Prepare your pizza dough ahead of time; Ooni recommend making three 165g pizza dough balls, and their Classic Pizza Dough recipe makes it really simple. You’ll need some of their Classic Pizza Sauce, too.
- Preheat your Ooni 3 or Ooni Pro pizza oven to 300°C.
- Mix together the herb butter ingredients; add a little herb butter to the Ooni Cast Iron Skillet, place the skillet inside the pizza oven to warm up, then set the remaining herb butter aside.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each ball of dough into a long oval shape, and trim around the dough, using a knife to shape each ball into a rectangle. Spread two tablespoons of pizza sauce over each piece of dough, then top with the mozzarella, pepperoni and basil, reserving a little mozzarella to use as a topping later on.
- Take the edge of a pizza dough sheet and roll the dough in on itself to form a long tube. Once rolled, slice the tube into 1-inch-thick slices. Repeat for the remaining two pizza dough sheets.
- Tuck the slices into the skillet so that the cheese is facing upwards. Repeat with as many slices as you can fit in – they should be snug inside the skillet. Pour the herb butter over the top, and return the skillet to your Ooni oven for 5-6 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls have turned golden brown. Sprinkle the reserved mozzarella over the rolls and continue cooking until the cheese has melted and is a light golden colour.
- Serve warm alongside a bowl of Ooni’s Classic Pizza Sauce – it makes a perfect dip for these moreish mozzarella-filled rolls.