- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 1 leek, finely sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, crushed
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 300g Arborio rice
- 2 tsp green pesto
- 750ml hot vegetable stock
- 250g baby asparagus, cut into pieces
- 100g frozen peas, thawed
- 75g Parmesan cheese (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- Grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 50g pine nuts, toasted
- Heat the oil and butter in a frying pan. Add the leek, garlic and spring onions and fry until softened but not browned.
- Add the rice and stir well to coat the grains evenly. Cook for 1-2 minutes until the rice is translucent. Transfer to the slow cooker. Stir the pesto into the stock and add to the pot.
- Cover and cook on low for around 1½ hours ─ there is no need to stir whilst cooking. Add the asparagus on top of the rice, cover and cook for a further 15 minutes, then add the peas. Cook for a further 15 minutes
- To serve, stir in the Parmesan, lemon zest and juice and parsley. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts.
Tip: If there is too much liquid left at the end of the cooking time, switch to the high setting and cook uncovered to reduce slightly. For a special occasion replace half the stock with white wine.
How to make… the perfect Risotto with Sue Ashworth
Spiced Sweet Potato & Red Pepper Bake for Remoska Tria
Easter Brunch Shakshuka for Remoska Tria
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut
Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato & Turmeric Soup with Sriracha and Coconut Yoghurt
Courgette, Aubergine and Spinach Cannelloni