- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing the parchment
- 2 large egg yolks
- 20g granulated white sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- Pinch of salt
- 60ml fresh lemon juice
- 1½ tsp Nielsen-Massey Pure Lemon Paste
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside a small bowl. Thinly butter one side of the parchment circle and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl and set aside. Combine the sugar, cornflour and salt in a small saucepan. Add the lemon juice and butter to the saucepan and combine.
- Bring to a simmer over a medium-high heat. Whisk constantly and cook for 1 minute. Temper the egg yolks by slowly whisking a small amount of the lemon mixture into them. Repeat this until about half of the lemon mixture has been incorporated, then transfer the lemon and egg mixture back into the saucepan. Reduce the heat to low and cook, whisking constantly, until the curd has thickened (about 2 minutes) without boiling.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and stir in the lemon paste. Cover the surface of the bowl with the piece of parchment that you coated with a thin layer of butter. Refrigerate for at least one hour until completely cool.