- 50g custard powder
- 50g granulated sugar
- 500ml full fat milk
- 200ml double cream
- 4 nectarines, stoned, quartered
- 50g soft light brown sugar
- A little butter, to grease
- 4 eggs, separated
- 100g granulated sugar
- 175g ground almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp icing sugar, to dust
- Combine the custard powder and sugar, add a little of the milk and mix to a smooth paste. Heat the remaining milk until just boiling, remove from the heat and slowly pour onto the custard paste, beating well to make a smooth sauce. Return to a medium heat and stir constantly until it thickens. Remove from the heat and stir in the double cream. Transfer to a shallow plastic container and freeze for 2-3 hours until set.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Place the nectarines in an ovenproof dish, cover with the sugar and bake for around 30 minutes until soft. Set aside to cool.
Grease the tin with butter or Cake Release. Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, sprinkle on 25g of the sugar and continue to whisk until stiff then set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks with the remaining sugar until pale, creamy and thick. Add the ground almonds and baking powder and mix well. Add one third of the egg whites to the ground almond mixture and mix together to soften the ground almond mixture slightly. Fold in the remaining egg whites until well mixed but leaving some pieces of ground almond mix through the cake.
- Divide the mixture between the wells of the tin, smooth the tops and bake at 180°C/Gas 4 for 20 minutes until golden on top and a skewer inserted into the cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool completely then cut in half lengthways.
- Put the nectarines into a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped. Scoop the ice cream into the food processor and combine with the nectarines. Return to the container and freeze again until soft set.
- Spoon some ice cream onto the base of each cake and spread neatly, top with the upper half of the cake, dust with icing sugar and serve immediately.
Valentine’s Love Bug Cookies
Valentine’s Dipped Meringue Swirls
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Cake
Sticky Lemon & Pistachio Whirlybuns for the Remoska®