- olive or vegetable oil
- 150g (51⁄2oz) cooking chorizo, sliced into coins
- 1 red or white onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 1 red (bell) pepper, finely diced
- 1 green (bell) pepper, finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 x 400g (14oz) can of whole plum tomatoes or in-season ripe tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha or other hot sauce, plus extra to taste
- 100g (31⁄2oz) sour cream or crème fraîche
- 2 large pickled jalapeños or fresh green chillies, finely chopped (optional)
- small bunch of flat-leaf parsley, leaves picked and roughly chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put enough oil in a large frying pan to coat the base and place over a moderate heat. Add the chorizo and fry for about 5 minutes, until the meat is just beginning to brown and the chorizo oil has begun to run out.
- Remove to a plate, leaving the fat behind in the pan, and keep warm.
- Add the onion and peppers to the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a couple of minutes, then add the tomatoes, and cook for about 10 minutes more, until rich and thick.
- Check the seasoning, adding salt and pepper to taste. Make pockets in the sauce and break an egg into each.
- Season the eggs lightly with salt and pepper and turn down the heat as low as possible. Distribute the cooked chorizo evenly over, cover the pan, and cook for about 8 minutes or so, until the whites of the eggs are opaque and the yolks still runny.
- While the eggs are cooking, in a small bowl mix the Sriracha or other chilli sauce with the sour cream or crème fraîche. Add a pinch of salt, to season. To serve, sprinkle the chopped chillies and parsley over the eggs in the pan and serve with the chilli sauce and sour cream mixture on the side, and hunks of crusty bread.
Leftover Sunday Dinner Soup with Crispy Bacon
Minty Pea & Potato Soup with Crispy Kale and Seeds
Courgette, Leek & Goat Cheese Soup with Halloumi Croutons
Cauliflower Soup with Chorizo and Croutons
Curried Squash, Lentil & Coconut Soup with Toasted Coconut
Roasted Carrot, Sweet Potato & Turmeric Soup with Sriracha and Coconut Yoghurt
Toasted BLT Bagel
Toasted Panini with Mushroom, Swiss Cheese and Caramelised Onion