For the meringues
- Lakeland Meringue Baking Kit
- 5 tbsp warm water
- 100g dark chocolate
- Whipped cream
- Satsuma segments
- PopaBall Strawberry Bursting Bubbles
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/Gas ¼. Line a large tray with baking parchment and set aside.
- Place the contents of our Meringue Baking Kit into a large bowl and add five tablespoons (75ml) of warm water. Stir and leave for a few minutes.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 7-10 minutes until the mixture becomes thick and glossy and stiff peaks have formed.
- Use a vegetable peeler to remove as many curls of chocolate as required for garnishing (refrigerate until needed), then melt the rest of the chocolate in a bain marie or bowl over hot water.
- Spoon the meringue mix into a piping bag and pipe onto the lined baking tray ─ the kit makes about 8 mini meringue nests, but you can make them bigger if you like. Add a tablespoon of melted chocolate to the top of each meringue and, using a cocktail stick, swirl it into the meringue mix.
- For 8 mini meringue nests, bake for 70 minutes, then turn the oven off and allow to cool in the oven for at least one hour. (Larger meringues will have to be baked for longer ─ refer to the instructions on the packet.)
- Remove your meringue nests from the oven, allow to cool completely, then top with whipped cream, satsuma segments, a few blackberries, strawberry bursting bubbles and the reserved chocolate curls.
Tips: Chill the bar of chocolate for an hour before using and it’ll be much easier to make the chocolate curls. Your meringues will end up with slightly browned, toasted tops if you follow the recipe above ─ if you want really white ones, bake on a lower temperature for longer.
Panettone Christmas Bread and Butter Pudding
How to make the perfect Sticky Toffee Puddings
Peppermint Bark Ice Cream
Ooni’s Salted Caramel and Banana Pie
Cox’s Toffee Apple Crumble Cakes
Cinnamon Waffle Stack with Crunchy Peanut Brittle Ice Cream
How to make… the perfect Summer Berry Pavlova