- 225g currants
- 90g sultanas
- 90g raisins
- 25g glacé cherries
- 25g mixed peel
- 2 tbsp brandy, plus extra for feeding
- 115g unsalted butter
- 115g soft light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 115g plain flour
- ¼ tsp ground or grated nutmeg
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 25g chopped almonds
- Zest of ½ orange, grated
- Zest of ½ lemon, grated
- 1 tbsp black treacle
To decorate & serve
- 250g marzipan
- 400g Renshaw Ready-To-Use Royal Icing
- The night before making the cake, place the dried fruit, cherries and mixed peel in a large bowl. Add the brandy and mix thoroughly. Cover the bowl with cling film and leave overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 140ËšC/Gas 1. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Lightly beat the eggs and add to the mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Gently fold in the flour, nutmeg and allspice. Add the dried fruit mix, almonds, zest and treacle and fold in gently.
- Using a teaspoon, carefully divide the mixture between six sterilized Weck jars. Smooth out the top of each and wipe away any mix from the sides of the jars.
- Cover each jar with a circle of baking parchment with a small hole cut in the centre and bake for approx. one and a half hours, or until the centre of each cake is firm and springy to the touch. Remove from the oven, place on a cooling rack and leave to cool completely.
- Before decorating, feed each cake with a little more brandy, using a fine skewer or toothpick to make several holes in the top and drizzling over.
- To decorate, roll out the marzipan to about 5mm thick. Use the lid of one jar as a template to cut out six discs, then gently push one marzipan disc into place inside each jar.
- Using a piping bag, add a layer of royal icing to the top of each cake, then fluff up the surface of each with a fork to make snow’.
- Add the rubber seals and lids to the tops of the jars and decorate with festive twine, foliage and gift tags, ready for serving or gifting.