For the brandy butter
- 50g butter
- 75g light muscovado or soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp brandy
For the ice cream
- 250ml double cream
- 150ml whole or semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tsp Nielsen Massey vanilla bean paste or extract
- 70g light muscovado or soft brown sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 individual shortcrust pastry mince pies, chopped
- If using the Lakeland Digital Ice Cream Maker, make sure that you put the bowl into your freezer at least 12 hours in advance. At the same time, make the brandy butter by beating together the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and creamy. Stir in the brandy. Put into an ice cube tray or small freezer-safe container and freeze until solid.
- To make the ice cream, mix together the double cream, milk, vanilla and sugar in a jug, allowing a few minutes for the sugar to dissolve. Stir in the ground cinnamon and nutmeg. Keep chilled until you are ready to make the ice cream.
- Set up your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Turn on the power and set the timer for 20 minutes. While the machine is switched on with the paddle turning, pour the cream mixture into the bowl. At this point, roughly chop the mince pies and half the frozen brandy butter.
- When the churning is complete, remove the ice cream from the bowl with a plastic spatula and put it into a freezer-safe container, mixing in the chopped mince pies and chopped brandy butter. Transfer to your freezer to firm up.
- When ready to serve, scoop the ice cream into attractive glasses and finish off with tiny scoops of frozen brandy butter (try using a melon baller if you have one).
Tips: Use ½ tsp ground mixed spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg. You can use home-made or bought mince pies – just make sure that they are made with shortcrust pastry. Remember that the churning time for the ice cream is a guideline, as it depends on both the temperature of the ingredients and the room temperature – so if the mixture needs more churning, simply adjust the timer.
Buttermilk Waffles with Vanilla Custard, Macerated Strawberries, Shortbread and Chervil Syrup
Cherry Frangipane Tart
Strawberry Eton Mess Cake
Hot Choc Swiss Roll
Semi-freddo Raspberry, Lemon & Ginger Nut Cheesecake Bars
Marmalade & Almond Tart
Panettone Christmas Bread and Butter Pudding
Christmas Stollen Squares