For the sponge
- 2 tsp matcha powder
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 3 large eggs
- 80g caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 80g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 200g mascarpone or cream cheese
- Finely grated zest of 2 limes
- 20ml lime juice
- 30g caster sugar
- 200ml double cream
- 30g shelled pistachio nuts, finely chopped, plus extra for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Grease and line a Lakeland Swiss Roll Tin with non-stick baking parchment.
- Blend the matcha powder with the hot water to make a smooth paste. Whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large mixing bowl with a handheld electric mixer, whisking for 3-4 minutes at high speed until very thick and mousse-like. Add the matcha paste and whisk briefly to combine.
- Sift in the flour and salt and fold in gently with a large metal spoon to retain as much of the air as possible. Transfer to the prepared tin and level the surface. Bake for 7-8 minutes until firm. Cool for 1-2 minutes, then flip over onto a large piece of baking parchment sprinkled with caster sugar. Remove the lining parchment carefully, then cover the cake with a clean cloth or a fresh piece of baking parchment while it cools.
- Make the filling by mixing the mascarpone or cream cheese with the lime zest, lime juice and caster sugar. Whip the cream until thick, then fold into the cheese mixture. Spread over the cooled cake and sprinkle the pistachios on top. Roll up from one short end. Serve decorated with any leftover filling and chopped pistachios.
Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days, though serve at room temperature to enjoy it at its best.
How to make… the perfect Victoria Sandwich
How to make… the perfect Scones
Easy-Peasy Spring Bug Biscuits
Marbled Chocolate Orbs (with a hidden surprise…)
Step-By-Step Caterpillar Cake
Rosemary, Red Onion & Parmesan Focaccia for Remoska Tria
Malted Mixed Grain Loaf for Remoska Tria
Hot Cross Bread & Butter Pudding for Remoska Tria