- 225g plain flour
- 225g butter
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g semolina
- 2 tbsp Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven 160C/140Fan/Gas 3.
- Measure the flour, butter, caster sugar and semolina into a processor and whizz for few minutes until a dough has just formed.
- Gently roll the dough out onto a floured surface – around 7mm thick – and cut out your stars. From time to time you will need to knead the smaller pieces together and reroll the dough.
- Place them onto your baking sheets and sprinkle with demerara sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven until very pale golden and firm to the touch (approx. 30 minutes).
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Tips: Can be made up to 3 days ahead and kept in an airtight container. Mary’s shortbread freezes well when cooked.