- 125g unsalted butter
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 65g maple syrup
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- clear boiled sweets (crushed)
- 25g chopped fiery crystallised ginger
- Preheat the oven to Gas 6 / 200C
- Melt the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan. Mix the flour, bicarbonate of soda and spices into a large bowl, add the crystallised ginger into it, then stir in the butter mixture to make a stiff dough. If it won’t quite come together, add a tiny splash of water.
- Roll the gingerbread out onto greaseproof paper to 1cm thickness and cut your shapes then using a round icing nozzle, cut a hole in the middle. Put crushed boiled sweets into the holes and trim around the edges of the baking parchment. Then place on to a baking tray.
- Bake until hard, for approx 12 minutes. Remove from oven then cool on a wire rack. You can at this point re-cut the biscuits that may have spread using the cutters again