For the sorbet
- 375g caster sugar
- 450ml water
- Juice and zest of 3 lemons
- 125ml limoncello
- 1 tsp Star Kay White Lemon Extract
For the baskets
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- 25g dairy-free spread
- 3 tbsp soya milk
- 2 tsp Star Kay White Ginger Extract
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- Pinch salt
- 75g dairy-free white chocolate, broken into pieces
- Few drops Star Kay White Lemon Extract
- 2 tbsp Lemon Meringue Sugar Strands
- 8 pieces Buderim Naked Ginger, finely chopped
- Place the sugar and water in a medium-sized saucepan and warm gently over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Then boil for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is slightly syrupy.
- Pour the syrup into a bowl and add the lemon juice, zest, limoncello and lemon extract.
- Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours and preferably overnight.
- Fit the gelato paddle to the ice cream maker, pour in the chilled mixture and fit the lid.
- Churn the sorbet for 40-50 minutes until it starts to thicken. It will have a soft texture.
- Scoop and serve immediately or freeze in an airtight container until needed.
- To make the baskets, place all the basket ingredients into a bowl or blender and mix into a smooth batter, thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Leave the mixture to rest for 5 minutes.
- Preheat the cone maker. Spoon 2-3 tablespoons of mixture onto the hotplate, spread evenly and close the lid. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Carefully place the cone onto a folded tea towel and drape it over an upturned jam jar or ramekin to create a basket shape.
- To decorate, place the white chocolate and lemon extract into a deep bowl and melt, either in the microwave on defrost for about a minute or over a pan of simmering water. Stir the mixture until smooth.
- Carefully dip the edges of each basket in the melted chocolate or brush it on if you find it easier, then dip into the sugar strands. To finish, dot pieces of ginger around the edges, pressing them on well.
Tip: For gluten-free cones, leave out the extra egg white and swap the plain flour for gluten-free