- 375g pack sweet shortcrust pastry
- Plain flour for dusting
- 800g golden syrup
- 125g fresh white breadcrumbs
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 50g rolled porridge oats
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- Vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a deep, loose-bottomed 23cm fluted tart tin. Discard the trimmings. Prick the base all over with a fork, then chill for 30 minutes. Line with baking paper, fill with baking beans or rice and blind-bake for 10 minutes until just set.
- Meanwhile, warm the golden syrup in a pan until runny but not too hot. Stir in the breadcrumbs, lemon zest, oats and eggs. Pour into the case and bake for 30-40 minutes until the top is golden and the filling is just set. Don’t worry if it’s a little soft. Allow to cool completely, then lift out of the tin. Wrap in baking paper and cling film, then freeze.
- Thaw completely. Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Put on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes until just warmed through ─ don’t let it get too hot or the filling may become too runny. Slice and serve with scoops of vanilla ice cream. You can serve any leftovers at room temperature with a cup of tea.
PER SERVING 496kcals, 12.7g fat (3.8g saturated), 6.1g protein, 92g carbs, 62.3g sugar, 1.2g salt