For the sponge
- 300g plain flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3½ tsp baking powder
- 120g caster sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 250ml milk
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
For the filling
- 12 rounded tsp lemon curd
For the meringue topping
- 2 large egg whites
- 80g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Place a paper muffin case into each of the 12 holes of the tin.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Stir in 120g caster sugar.
- Separate 2 eggs and put the whites to one side in a large grease-free bowl. Beat together the egg yolks with the remaining whole egg, then mix in the milk, lemon zest and cooled melted butter.
- Stir the egg mixture into the flour mixture until just combined, being careful not to beat or overmix. Share roughly two-thirds of the mixture between the paper cases, then add a spoonful of lemon curd into the middle of each one. Spoon the remaining muffin mixture on top. Bake for 22-24 minutes until risen and golden, but not too brown.
- Towards the end of cooking time, make the topping by whisking the egg whites until they hold their shape, then whisk in 80g caster sugar until stiff and glossy.
- Remove the muffins from the oven and pipe or spoon the meringue on top. Bake for a further 5-6 minutes, until the meringue is golden.
Tip: You could use a cook’s blowtorch for browning the meringue if you have one.
Valentine’s Love Bug Cookies
Valentine’s Dipped Meringue Swirls
Valentine’s Cake Pops
Step-by-Step Valentine’s Love Bug Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Ruffle Cake
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Face Bakes
Step-by-Step Prehistoric Party Dinosaur Cake
Sticky Lemon & Pistachio Whirlybuns for the Remoska®