For the cake
- 150g butter, at room temperature
- 150g caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- Pinch of salt
- 30g ground almonds
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 140g blueberries
For the drizzle
- 100g caster sugar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Line a Tala 2lb Loaf Tin with non-stick baking parchment. Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/Gas 4.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and creamy, then gradually beat in the eggs. Sift in the flour and salt and add the ground almonds, folding them in gently with a large metal spoon. Gently stir in the lemon zest, lemon juice and 100g of the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and level the top. Sprinkle the rest of the blueberries over the surface. Bake for approximately 1 hour until risen, set and golden. To check that the cake is cooked, insert a fine skewer into the middle – it should come out clean. If not, bake for a little longer.
- Stand the tin on a cooling rack while you make the drizzle. Gently heat the caster sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved, without allowing it to boil or bubble.
- While still hot, pierce the cake several times over its surface with a skewer and drizzle the hot lemon syrup over the top. Cool completely, then remove from the tin.