- 1kg boned lamb shoulder, fat trimmed, roughly diced
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Finely grated zest and juice of 2 lemons
- 100ml red wine
- 300ml olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Flatbreads or damper bread.
- Place the lamb into a large plastic or ceramic bowl. Add the thyme, garlic, lemon zest, red wine and 100ml of the olive oil. Season, stir to combine, cover with clingfilm and marinate in the fridge for a few hours or overnight if possible.
- Preheat a grill or barbecue. Thread the lamb onto skewers, reserving the marinade. Add the lemon juice and remaining olive oil to the marinade juices, mix and set aside.
- Cook the lamb for 6-7 minutes or until cooked to your liking, generously basting with the reserved marinade and turning occasionally. Remove from the heat, cover with foil and rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the souvlaki with warmed flatbreads or damper bread.
Tip: For extra flavour, the marinade can be brushed onto the breads before they’re warmed in the oven for a few minutes.