- 2 large red peppers, halved, stalks & seeds removed
- 2 large carrots, peeled & trimmed
- 2 large courgettes, trimmed
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed
- 1 large bag spinach, washed (around 250g)
- 2 x 270g packs filo pastry, thawed if frozen (12 sheets)
- olive oil, for cooking
- 150g unsalted butter, plus a little extra for cooking
- salt & pepper
Making the filling
- The vegetables are all cooked separately and seasoned to taste. To roast the peppers, place them skin side up under a hot grill until they blacken. Place in a sealed plastic bag and leave to cool before peeling or scraping away the skin.
- While the peppers cool, cut the carrots and courgettes into julienne strips, and slice the fennel. Steam the carrots or simmer in boiling salted water until just tender. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Heat a little olive oil and butter in a frying pan and saut the courgettes until a little coloured. Drain and cool on kitchen paper. Repeat with the fennel, cooking until soft.
- Heat a little more oil or butter and cook the spinach for around a minute, stirring often.
Lining the tin
- Line the base of the pie tin with baking parchment, then place the sides of the tin on top, so that the full base is lined.
- In a small saucepan, melt 150g butter over a gentle heat. Brush some melted butter onto the baking parchment and tin sides.
- One by one, brush the filo pastry sheets with melted butter and place them, overlapping, in the tin. Make sure that the sides are well sealed and there is enough pastry overhanging all 4 sides to form a lid. Use all 12 sheets.
Assembling & baking the pie
- Divide the cooked fennel into 3. Place a layer of fennel into the lined tin, then the courgettes, roasted peppers, a second layer of fennel, the spinach, the carrots and a final layer of fennel, pressing down firmly between each layer.
- Fold the overhanging pastry from all 4 sides over the vegetables so they are completely covered and form a sealed lid. Brush the top with melted butter and chill the pie for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C/Gas 6 and warm a baking sheet.
- Place the pie onto the baking sheet and cook for 15 minutes.
- Take the pie out of the oven, remove the sides of the tin and gently slide the pie off the cradle onto the baking tray. The pie is now on the base of the tin with all sides exposed. Brush the pastry sides with melted butter and return to the oven for 5-10 minutes, until the sides are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve while hot or place the pie on a wire rack, with the base of the tin still in place, to cool before serving.
Spiced Carrot, Chickpea & Cheddar Veggie Burgers
Spanakopita Lattice Pie
Roasted Butternut Squash, Courgette & Red Pepper Lattice Pie
All-Time Favourite Cheese & Onion Lattice Pie
Ooni’s Flame Cooked Courgette and Cherry Tomato Pizza
Ooni’s Green Pesto and Goats’ Cheese Pizza
Ooni’s Margherita Pizza
How to make… the perfect Risotto with Sue Ashworth