- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pink peppercorns
- 1 x 250g sirloin steak, trimmed of visible fat
- 2 tbsp dried breadcrumbs
- juice of 1 lemon, to serve
- Serve with a watercress side salad.
- Prick the potato in a few places with a fork and plonk it into your microwave. Zap at 900w for 4 minutes, let it rest for 1 minute then zap for a further 4 minutes.
- While the sweet potato is rotating in the microwave, smash up the peppercorns in a pestle and mortar until they are still reasonably big, but there are no whole peppercorns left. Melt half of the coconut oil in a frying pan over a high heat.
- Tip the peppercorns onto a plate and coat the steak ─ they should stick to the meat. Turn the steak until it is fully covered in the peppercorns. Season the steak with a little salt and lay gently into the hot oil.
- Fry the steak for 3½ minutes on each side before removing to a plate and leaving to rest. Turn the heat off from under the empty steak pan, and add the dried breadcrumbs. Stir for 1 minute, or until they are crisp. Tip the now delicious crumbs on top of the resting steak.
- Take the sweet potato and slice it in half lengthways, then slice each half into 3 wedges to make 6 chunky chips.
- Heat the remaining oil in the same frying pan over a high heat and, when melted and hot, carefully slide the sweet potato wedges in and fry for 2─3 minutes, turning a couple of times to brown them evenly. Drain the fried chips on a piece of clean kitchen roll.
- Serve up the pretty steak topped with breadcrumbs alongside the sweet potato chips and a side salad of watercress dressed with lemon juice. Perfection.
How to make… the perfect Lasagne with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Wellington with Sue Ashworth
How to make… the perfect Beef Casserole with Horseradish and Parsley Dumplings with Sue Ashworth
Classic Goulash for Remoska Tria
Lamb, Aubergine & Orzo Casserole for Remoska Tria
Kicking Pork Burgers
Mexican Pull-Apart Pork