For the sponge
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 150g golden caster sugar
- 50g cocoa powder
For the filling
- 175ml double cream
- 50g dark chocolate, melted
- Mini marshmallows
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat oven to 180˚C/fan 160˚C/Gas 4. Grease the Swiss Roll Tin and line it with baking parchment.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl and whisk with a handheld electric whisk until the mixture is thick and pale. Sift in the cocoa and fold in with a metal spoon.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until the mixture forms soft peaks. Fold the egg
whites into the yolk mixture with a metal spoon a third at a time, being careful not to knock
out the air.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and springy.
Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly in the tin.
- Turn the sponge out onto a sheet of baking parchment liberally dusted with cocoa. Peel off the attached baking parchment from the tin. Roll up the warm sponge, with the cocoa-dusted baking parchment, from one of the short ends until you have a short fat roll. Set aside whilst you whip up the double cream to form soft peaks.
- Unroll the cooled sponge and spread with the whipped cream. Re-roll the sponge tightly and chill in the fridge. Before serving, decorate with drizzled melted chocolate, mini marshmallows and a dusting of cocoa powder.
Buttermilk Waffles with Vanilla Custard, Macerated Strawberries, Shortbread and Chervil Syrup
Cherry Frangipane Tart
Strawberry Eton Mess Cake
Semi-freddo Raspberry, Lemon & Ginger Nut Cheesecake Bars
Marmalade & Almond Tart
Panettone Christmas Bread and Butter Pudding
Christmas Stollen Squares