- 4 large egg whites
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar
- Black food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 140˚C/Gas 1. Line two large baking sheets with baking parchment.
- Put the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl and whisk to stiff peaks using a hand mixer. Add one tablespoon of sugar and whisk back up to stiff peaks.
- Continue adding sugar tablespoon by tablespoon, and whisking, until all the sugar has been used and the meringue is smooth and firm, then fold in the cornflour and vinegar.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a large round nozzle. Holding the bag vertically, squeeze and pull the bag upwards slowly to make your first ghost, making sure each one is 6-7cm high and ends with a point. Repeat until all the meringue has been used.
- Bake for 1 hour, until the meringues are crisp and easy to peel off the parchment, then turn off the oven and leave them inside to cool completely.
- Once completely cool, paint on the eyes and mouths with black food colouring using a food-safe decorating brush.