For the pastry snakes
- Ready-rolled puff pastry
- 50g Parmesan, grated
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Poppy seeds
- ¼ small red chilli, finely sliced
- Black food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 220˚C/Gas 7. Unroll the puff pastry and sprinkle most of the Parmesan over the top, then fold in half.
- On a floured surface, roll out the pastry into a rectangle the thickness of a £1 coin. Cut into 1cm strips, then twist each strip several times to form a snake. Choose a ‘head’ end and flatten slightly so features can be added later.
- Lay out the snakes on a baking sheet. Brush each one with egg and sprinkle with the leftover Parmesan cheese.
- To finish, scatter over the poppy seeds, and push a little slice of chilli into the ‘head’ end of each snake to make the tongue. Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
- Leave to cool, then draw on the eyes using black food colouring.