- 225g buckwheat flour, plus extra for dusting
- 225g teff flour
- ½ tsp mustard powder
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, snipped
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 50g Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 300ml warm water
- Egg wash, to glaze
- Line the tin with baking parchment. In a large bowl, sift together the buckwheat and teff flours, mustard powder, sugar, salt, yeast and xanthan gum and stir well. Mix in the chives, thyme and garlic and most of the Parmesan and Cheddar, saving a little of each to top the rolls before baking.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour mix and pour in the egg. Using a round-bladed knife, add enough of the warm water to bind the mix into a soft, but not sticky, dough. Remember that all flour batches vary in their absorbency, so add the water slowly until you have the desired consistency.
- Turn the dough out onto a clean worktop dusted with buckwheat flour and knead for around 3-4 minutes, until smooth. Divide the dough into 12 evenly sized pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Arrange the dough balls in the prepared tin, leaving a little space between each to allow for rising. Cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas 6. Brush the tops of the dough balls with egg wash, sprinkle the reserved Parmesan and Cheddar on top, and bake in the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until cooked through, golden and the underside of the rolls sounds hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly before serving. For best results, eat while still warm.
Tip: To make cheese and tomato sharing bread, simply add 2 tsp sundried tomato paste and 4 tbsp chopped sundried tomatoes to the recipe above. For walnut and Stilton bread, leave out the garlic, swap the Cheddar for 100g crumbled Stilton and stir 50g chopped walnuts into the mix.
Chilli & Spring Onion Cornbread with Summer Herb Spread
Slow-Cooked Breakfast Banana Bread
Slow-Cooked Cranberry & Rosemary Soda Bread
Pressure-Cooked Cheddar, Leek & Spring Onion Savoury Bread & Butter Pudding
Mozzarella & Sun-Dried Tomato Mini Loaves
Milk Kefir Bread
Rosemary Focaccia for the Remoska