For the gingerbread
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 3 tsp ground ginger
- 100g butter or margarine
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Ready-to-Roll White Icing
- 8 Wilton® Icing Colours
- Decorating Pens
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Line two baking sheets with baking parchment and set aside.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ground ginger into a large mixing bowl, rub in the butter or margarine and mix in the sugar.
- Add the egg and the golden syrup and mix to a dough. Roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface and, using the cookie cutters, cut out your chosen shapes, re-rolling the dough as needed.
- Place the shapes on the baking trays, leaving a little room between each for spreading. Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Leave to cool on the tray for a couple of minutes, then remove to a cooling rack.
- Once completely cooled, decorate as desired.
Tips: We used Ready-to-Roll White Icing to decorate, coloured where appropriate with 8 Wilton® Icing Colours, and used Decorating Pens to add extra detail. For a darker, more treacly gingerbread use dark brown sugar and replace 2 tbsp of the syrup with black treacle.