- 150g fresh root ginger, unpeeled
- 50g caster sugar
- 3 unwaxed lemons
- 1 litre sparkling mineral water
- 6 small sprigs fresh mint
- Coarsely grate the ginger into a large bowl. Add the sugar and mix gently.
- Peel the yellow zest of 2 of the lemons with a potato peeler and add to the ginger mix. Stir with a wooden spoon, gently bruising the skin to release the lemony oils.
- Squeeze the juice from all 3 lemons and add to the bowl. Add the sparkling water and let the mixture stand for 15 minutes then taste and add more lemon juice or sugar as needed.
- Strain the mixture through a sieve into a large jug then pour into the bottles. Garnish with mint and a straw before serving.