- 1kg apples, peeled, cored and coarsely chopped
- 800g tomatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 150g dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 140g dried dates, coarsely chopped
- 160g currants
- 2cm root ginger, peeled and grated
- 625ml malt vinegar
- 440g light brown sugar
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- Place all the ingredients into a large pan and stir over a medium heat until the sugar dissolves, then turn the heat up and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1½ hours or until thickened.
- Carefully ladle into hot, sterilised jars and seal tightly. Store in a cool, dark place for at least three weeks before opening.
Tip: This recipe could easily be halved.