For the fish
- 100g self-raising flour
- Pinch salt
- 160ml water
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 4 white fish fillets (such as cod, haddock, hake or pollock), approx. 200g each
- 1 lemon, quartered, to garnish
For the chips
- 400g floury potatoes (such as Maris Piper), peeled and cut into 1cm thick chips
- 1 litre vegetable oil
For the mushy peas
- 300g frozen peas
- 1 tbsp butter
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- A few mint leaves, chopped (optional)
- Heat the oil in the fryer to 180°C. Pre heat the oven to 140°C/Gas 1.
- To make the batter, sieve the self-raising flour and salt into a bowl and gradually add the water, whisking until the batter is smooth and lump-free.
- Put the plain flour into a plastic bag and, adding one piece at a time, shake the fish in it to coat in flour then dip each piece into the batter. When the oil is at the correct temperature, add 2 pieces of fish and cook for about 10 minutes or until they are golden and crisp on the outside. Place on a tray in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining 2 pieces of fish.
- Rinse the chips in cold water and blot dry with kitchen paper. Add half to the fryer and cook for approximately 10 minutes until crisp and golden brown then put in the oven to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining chips.
- For the mushy peas, bring a small pan of water to the boil, add the peas and boil for 3-4 minutes until tender. Drain, add the butter and lemon juice and blend until thick with small pieces of pea still visible. Season to taste and stir in mint if desired.
- Garnish the fish with the lemon and serve with the chips and mushy peas
Prawn & Crab Cakes with Lemon & Coriander Tartare Sauce
Thai Prawn Mini Bakes
Thai Salmon with Peanut, Lime and Chilli Crust for the Remoska®
Anjula Devi’s Mussels with Green Mango and Coconut Milk
Marinated Thai Salmon with Steamed Chilli Veg
Steamed Citrus Fish with Asparagus and Parsley Potatoes
Davina’s Cod and Pesto Parcels
Smoked Fish & Cider Pie