- 2 x 400g cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 100g gram flour
- 3 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons Apple Purée
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons tamari
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- juice of 12 lime
- salt and pepper
- coconut oil, to shallow-fry
- Put the beans in a large mixing bowl. Mash them with a fork until they’re pretty mushy, but not totally smooth there should still be some whole beans in the mix.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients, except the coconut oil.
- Heat a saucepan with a little coconut oil, then place 1 heaped tablespoon of the mix into the centre of the pan. Shape it into a circle and then spread it out a little so it’s just a couple of centimetres thick. Repeat to form 4 burgers in the pan. Let the burgers cook for about 1 minute on each side, flipping them so that they cook equally.
- Then do the same thing with the remaining burger mixture, keeping the cooked burgers warm while you cook the rest.
Kitchen Know-How – I know the apple purée might sound a weird ingredient, but please don’t leave it out, it really helps stick the burgers together and it adds a delicious flavour!
Recipe extracted from Deliciously Ella Every Day by Ella Woodward, published by Yellow Kite. © Ella Woodward 2016. Photography Clare Winfield.