FOR THE FRIES
- 35 gram (chickpea) flour
- 50ml almond milk, or any other plant-based milk
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 110g ground almonds
- 35g sesame seeds
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 avocados, ripe but still firm
FOR THE DIP
- 80g cashew nuts (soaked for 3 hours)
- Juice of 2 ½ limes
- Small handful of fresh coriander (about 8g)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 spigs of fresh mint leaves
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan 200°C). Line a baking tray with parchment.
- Place the gram flour in a bowl. Mix the almond milk and sesame oil in another bowl. Place the ground almonds, sesame seeds, cayenne pepper, salt, pepper, paprika, nutritional yeast and both types of chilli in a third bowl and mix together.
- Halve the avocados lengthways, pit and peel, then slice thickly lengthways, making about 5 slices for each avocado half.
- Dip the first avocado slice in the gram flour, making sure it’s covered. Then dip it in the milk bowl, followed by the ground almonds bowl. Place the coated avocado slice on to the prepared baking tray and repeat for the rest of the avocado slices.
- Bake for 20 minutes, flipping half way through.
- Once the avocados are done, remove from the oven. Leave to cool for about 20 minutes; this helps them crisp up even more.
- Meanwhile, make the dip. Drain the cashews and tip in to a blender. Add 4 tablespoons of water and all the other dip ingredients. Blend until really smooth. Then dip your avocado fries into the sauce and enjoy!
Recipe extracted from Deliciously Ella with Friends by Ella Mills, published on26 January by Yellow Kite, £25 © Ella Mills 2017