- 250ml fish, chicken or vegetable stock
- 2 lemongrass stalks, roughly chopped (no need to remove outer stalks)
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 3 kaffir lime leaves or zest of 1 lime
- 2 red chillies, thinly sliced (optional)
- 400ml can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla)
- juice of 1 lime
- 100g baby corn
- 100g sugarsnap peas or mangetout
- 50g bean sprouts
- 200g peeled raw prawns
- 100g wholegrain soba noodles or 400g courgettes, spiralised
- 1─2 red chillies, deseeded and finely sliced
- coriander leaves
- lime wedges
- Pour the stock into a saucepan. Add the lemongrass, garlic, lime leaves or zest and the chillies, if using. Season with salt. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down to a simmer and cover. Simmer the stock for 10 minutes, then strain it through a sieve over a bowl, discarding all the aromatics and reserving the liquid.
- Pour the stock back into the saucepan and add the coconut milk, fish sauce and lime juice. Simmer for a couple of minutes just to let the flavours combine, then add the baby corn and the sugarsnap peas or mangetout. Simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the bean sprouts and the prawns and cook for a further minute. Taste for seasoning and add more salt or fish sauce if necessary.
- If serving the soup with noodles, cook them according to the packet instructions. If serving it with spiralised courgettes, add them to a pan of boiling water and blanch them for 20 seconds, then drain.
- Ladle the soup into bowls over the noodles or courgettes, then add a sprinkling of chillies and coriander leaves and serve with wedges of lime on the side.
Copyright © Davina McCall, 2016. Extracted from Davina’s SmartCarbs by Davina McCall. Published by Orion. Photographer: Andrew Hayes-Watkins