- 200g wholemeal spelt flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 180g butter
- 180g maple syrup
- 3 small, fairly ripe bananas, roughly mashed
- 5 eggs
- Preheat the oven to 180 deg C/160 deg C Fan/Gas 4. Line a 24 x 24cm tray bake tin with baking parchment.
- Sift the flour, cocoa and baking powder into a bowl and add a pinch of salt. Put the butter in a small pan and melt it over a gentle heat. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the maple syrup, then mix in the mashed bananas.
- Break the eggs into a large bowl and whisk them until they’re frothy. Add the dry ingredients, then the butter, syrup and banana mixture and mix thoroughly. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and spread it into an even layer.
- Bake the cake in the oven for about 40 minutes until it’s well risen, springy to touch and shrinking away from the sides slightly. Leave it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer it to a cooling rack. Cut it into 16 squares ─ or smaller pieces if you want to reduce the calorie count per serving. Store the cake in an airtight tin.
Copyright © Davina McCall, 2016. Extracted from Davina’s SmartCarbs by Davina McCall. Published by Orion. Photographer: Andrew Hayes-Watkins