For the filling
- 300g chopped dates
- 250g candied ginger
- 50ml rum
For the shortbread
- 250g butter
- 125g icing sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 375g plain flour
For the crumble
- 300g plain flour
- 175g sugar
- 200g butter
- 50g oats
- Soak the chopped dates an candied ginger in the rum, while that’s soaking make the shortbread base.
- Mix together the flour, butter and sugar until it forms a breadcrumb type texture.
- Add in the egg and mix together to form a dough.
- Line your baking tray with parchment and press the shortbread dough into the tray. Prick all over with a fork to prevent the base rising.
- Make the crumble by combining all the crumble ingredients, you need a to mix it together to a crumble texture.
- Place the soaked fruit on top of the base, then put the crumble topping over the top, don’t squash it down as it needs to just sit on the top so it gets nice and crunchy.
- Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes.