- 50g shelled pistachios, roughly chopped
- 50g almonds, roughly chopped
- 450g caster sugar
- 225g glucose gel
- 150ml water
- 2 egg whites
- 8 sheets rice paper
- 50g dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Put the pistachios and almonds on a baking sheet and cook for 8-10 minutes. Turn off the oven and set the nuts aside to cool.
- Put the sugar, glucose gel and water into a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over a medium heat and bring slowly to the boil, stirring continuously until the sugar has dissolved.
- Reduce to a low heat and simmer, without stirring, until a sugar thermometer measures 121ºC/250ºF ─ this will take about 10-15 minutes. (Follow the step below while the sugar is heating.)
- Once the sugar reaches about 110°C/225°F, place the egg whites into the bowl of an electric stand mixer and, on a low setting, whisk to stiff peaks.
- When the sugar mixture reaches 121ºC/250ºF, pour a quarter of it in a slow, steady stream, into the egg whites, continuing to mix.
- Return the remaining sugar mix to the heat and cook, without stirring, until a sugar thermometer measures 150°C/300°F ─ this will take about 5 minutes. Continue to whisk the egg white mix.
- In a slow, steady stream, pour the remaining sugar mixture into the egg whites while still whisking. Continue to mix for about 20-25 minutes until the mixture is stiff and halved in volume.
- Line the baking tin with parchment. Place 4 sheets of the rice paper in the bottom of the tin. Stir the nuts and cranberries into the nougat mixture, mix well and pour into the tin. Spread evenly using a spatula dipped in boiling water. Top with the remaining sheets of rice paper.
- Leave to cool then chill for 4-6 hours or until set. Remove from the tin and cut into pieces. Wrap the pieces in baking parchment and store in the fridge.