- A little softened butter, for greasing
- 150g wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- 150g porridge oats
- ¼ tsp salt
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 small lemon
- 150g butter, melted
- 120g light muscovado sugar
- 2 Cox’s eating apples, cored and thinly sliced
- 80g mini butterscotch pieces or chopped toffees
- Position an oven shelf in the centre of your oven. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4. Grease the bases and sides of the sandwich tin holes with a little butter.
- Mix together the flour, ground mixed spice, porridge oats, salt and lemon zest. Stir in the melted butter and muscovado sugar.
- Spoon roughly three-quarters of the mixture into the holes of the tin and press it down with the back of a spoon. Toss the apple slices in the lemon juice, then share them between the sandwich tins. Scatter the reserved cake mixture and the butterscotch pieces or chopped toffees on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until firm. If serving as a pudding, cool for a few minutes, then turn out and enjoy with crème fraiche, cream, ice cream or custard. If serving as cakes, cool completely in the tins, then turn them out.
Tip: You could use thinly sliced plums instead of apples – or try a combination of the two.