- 1 large chicken (about 2kg)
- 2 celery sticks
- 3-4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5 black peppercorns
- 5 coriander seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 200ml Greek yogurt
- 150ml mayonnaise
- Grated zest of 1 lime and juice of ½
- 2 tbsp mango chutney
- 1 small ripe mango, cut into chunks
- Large handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 25g toasted flaked almonds
- Put the chicken in a large pan with the celery, thyme, peppercorns, coriander seeds and bay leaves. Cover with cold water, then bring to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour until the chicken is just cooked. As it cooks, skim off any impurities that come to the surface. Drain and cool. (Strain the stock and keep for another dish.)
- Once cold, remove and discard the skin from the chicken. Use your fingers to pull all the flesh from the chicken ─ in fork-size chunks ─ and place in a large dish.
- In a dry frying pan, briefly toast the cumin, turmeric and curry powder over a low heat until they start to release their fragrance.
- Tip into a bowl and stir in the yogurt, mayonnaise, lime zest and juice, and chutney. Season to taste and mix with the chicken. Fold in the mango and coriander, scatter over the flaked almonds, then serve.
PER SERVING 240kcals, 13.1g fat (2.7g saturated), 27.8g protein, 3.3g carbs, 2.8g sugar, 0.4g salt, 0.6g fibre
Chef’s tip: Make this the day before and keep covered in the fridge.
Yakitori Mini Burgers with Wasabi Dip
Jerk-Spiced Chicken Drumsticks
Orange, Thyme & Pine Nut Roasted Chicken for the Remoska®
Mary Berry’s Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Curry
Anjula Devi’s Chicken Thighs with Pomegranate
Red Thai Chicken & Pineapple Curry
Steamed Chicken & Vegetable Noodle Bowl