For the Madeleines
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp French blend ground coffee
- 100g unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature, plus extra for greasing
For the Icing
- 100g icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp French blend ground coffee
- Begin by making the coffee in the OXO Cold Brew Coffee Maker following the manufacturer’s instructions. This needs to be started at least 12 hours before making the cake, or overnight. We suggest using a full packet of ground coffee as the concentrate can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks and used for drinks and other recipes.
- Preheat the oven to 200ËšC/Gas 6. Lightly grease the Madeleine pan with softened butter or Cake Release.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar with an electric hand mixer for 3-4 minutes or until pale and frothy.
- Sift in the flour and baking powder, then add the coffee and melted butter and lightly whisk into the egg mixture, until just combined. Leave to stand for 15 minutes before spooning into the Madeleine pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until well risen, golden brown and springy to the touch. Leave in the tin to cool for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.
- To make the icing, sift the icing sugar into a small bowl and stir in the coffee to form a smooth paste, about the thickness of double cream. When cool, dust each Madeleine with icing sugar and dip the tip of the wider end into the coffee icing. Leave on the rack to set before serving.
Tips: store the Madeleines in an airtight container and eat within two days. If freezing, decorate with the icing after defrosting. This recipe recommends using French coffee, as Madeleines are a traditional French sponge, but any variety of coffee will give a good flavour. If using a different coffee maker, let the coffee cool after brewing.