For the cookies
- 200g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 400g plain flour
- 2-4 tbsp milk
- Royal icing
- Red food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease and line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the egg yolks. Sift in the flour and fold into the mix. Add a couple of tablespoons of milk and bring together with your hands to make a soft dough – if it is too stiff, you can add a little more milk.
- Place your dough on a floured surface and roll out to about 5mm thick. Cut out the desired number and type of shapes for your wreath – we used 12 mistletoe, 12 small holly, 10 large holly, 3 bells and 1 bow. Place on the prepared trays and bake for 10-15 minutes, then remove and place on a wire cooling rack.
- While waiting for your cookies to cool completely, prepare your royal icing (you can make your own or use Renshaw Ready-to-Use Royal Icing). Fit a piping bag with a thin round nozzle and pipe the outlines and veins on the holly and mistletoe leaves. Pipe on outlines and flood the bells and bow. Once dried, pipe extra detail onto the bells and bow.
- Add red food colouring to a little royal icing and pipe on the berry detail. Once all the icing has dried, arrange your wreath on a board and serve.