- 75g light soft brown sugar
- 75g butter
- 12 tsp sea salt
- 100ml double cream
- 150g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
- 100g caster sugar
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 50g self-raising flour
- Make the filling the day before the fondants. In a small saucepan, gently heat the sugar, butter and salt until the sugar has melted.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil, stirring continuously, then simmer for 3 minutes until you have a thick caramel sauce.
- Pour into a jug and leave to cool, then divide the sauce between the freezing trays and freeze overnight.
- Next day, preheat the oven to 180 deg C/Fan 160 deg C/Gas 4. Grease the fondant moulds with a little soft butter.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a bowl set over a pan of gently simmering water, taking care not to overheat or let the bowl touch the water. Stir gently until smooth and then set aside to cool.
- Place the sugar in a large bowl, then add the eggs one at a time and beat well with an electric hand mixer until the mixture is thick and creamy and the whisk leaves a trail. This may take a few minutes.
- Sift the flour into the egg mixture and fold in gently using a large metal spoon. Add the melted chocolate and continue folding until well combined, taking care not to over-mix.
- Spoon a small amount of sponge mixture into the fondant moulds about 14 of the way up. Place the moulds on a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes, then remove from the oven.
- Take the frozen fillings out of the freezer and place a disc of frozen caramel on top of the baked mixture. Make sure the filling does not touch the mould.
- Cover with the rest of the fondant mix and bake for 20-25 minutes. The fondants are ready when they feel firm to the touch with a crust on top and are beginning to come away from the sides of the moulds.
- Leave to cool for a few minutes, then turn out onto plates and serve immediately – perfect with vanilla ice cream.
Spiralizers – not just for courgetti!
Slow-Cooked Chocolate Orange Sponge Pudding
Delicious Plum Batter Pudding
Slow-Cooked Boozy Mincemeat Sponge Pudding
The Perfect Pannacotta Recipe
Passion Fruit & Orange Curd Pavlova
Lemon & Lavender Meringue Roulade with Blueberries
Dark & White Chocolate Melt-in-the-Middle Puds