- 200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 80g unsalted butter
- 40g caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg yolk
- 1-2 tbsp ice-cold water
For the filling
- 250g dark chocolate
- 200ml double cream
- 1 tbsp golden syrup
- 50g unsalted butter
- 2 large free-range eggs, plus 1 large yolk, beaten
- 100g white chocolate
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- Sift the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips (or pulse in a food processor) until it’s the consistency of breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the egg yolk and enough ice-cold water to bring the dough together with a round-bladed knife (or pulse until combined). Knead briefly, then shape into a disc, wrap in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a pound coin and use to line a 20cm (3.5cm deep) fluted loose-bottomed tart tin. Trim the excess pastry, prick all over with a fork, then chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line the pastry case with baking paper and baking beans or rice, then bake for 12 minutes. Remove the baking paper and beans/rice, then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden. Remove and set aside. Turn the oven down to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3.
- To make the filling, put the dark chocolate, cream, golden syrup and butter in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (don’t allow the base to touch the water). Gently melt together, stirring until smooth. Remove from the heat, then allow to cool a little before beating in the eggs.
- In another heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (don’t allow the base to touch the water), melt the white chocolate and peanut butter together.
- Put the tart case on a baking sheet and spread two-thirds of the peanut butter and white chocolate mixture over the base, then pour over the dark chocolate mixture. Dollop over the remaining white chocolate mixture, then use the point of a skewer to swirl it in a pretty pattern. Bake for 25-30 minutes until set. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing and serving.
Per serving (based on 12): 388kcals, 28.5g fat (15.9g saturated), 5.8g protein, 29.1g carbs (21.6g sugars), 0.1g salt, 1.1g fibre