For the madeleines
- A little softened butter, for greasing
- 2 eggs
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g butter, melted and cooled
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 100g plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- 40g dark chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate
- 150g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Grease the holes of the madeleine tin with a little butter.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until frothy. Stir in the melted butter and vanilla extract. Mix the flour and baking powder together, then sift into the bowl, mixing well. Stir in the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate.
- Spoon the mixture into the holes of the tin – you’ll need to add around 2 level tablespoons to each. Bake for 12-13 minutes, until lightly tinged with brown. Cool for 3-4 minutes in the tin, then remove and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of gently simmering water. Dip the madeleines into the melted chocolate, or drizzle it over them. Allow to cool and set before serving.
Tip: To give your madeleines a citrusy twist, add 1 tsp finely grated orange zest to the mixture – just stir it in with the vanilla extract.