- 1 kg ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 500g caster sugar
- 80ml white wine vinegar
- 60ml lemon juice
- 6 fresh long red chillies, thinly sliced
- 2 fresh small red chillies, thinly sliced
- 4cm fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- Place all of the ingredients in a large pan and, without boiling, cook over a high heat until the sugar dissolves, then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 1¼ hours until the jam is thick. Leave to cool for 15 minutes.
- Blend the mixture in batches until smooth. Carefully spoon into hot, sterilised jars and seal. Label and date jars once cold.
Tip: Store in a cool, dark place for up to 3 months and refrigerate once opened.