- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 350g risotto rice
- ½ cucumber, coarsely grated and excess liquid squeezed out
- 100g Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra shavings to garnish
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Put the chicken breasts in a large pan, cover with 1.5 litres water and bring to simmering point. Reduce the heat to very low and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes until just cooked through. Remove the chicken from the cooking liquid, set aside and finely slice. Reserve the cooking liquid.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan and gently fry the onion for about 10 minutes until soft. Add the risotto rice and stir to coat for 1-2 minutes, then add the reserved stock a ladleful at a time, stirring constantly. Make sure the rice has fully absorbed each ladleful before adding more (you will need 1.2-1.3 litres of stock).
- Once the rice is almost cooked, season well, then stir in the chicken, grated cucumber and Parmesan. Cover with a lid, remove from the heat and leave to stand for a couple of minutes before serving topped with Parmesan shavings.
PER SERVING 572kcals, 15g fat (6.1g saturated), 35g protein, 73g carbs, 2.3g sugar, 0.8g salt
Chef’s tip: If you’re not a meat eater, poach a couple of skinless salmon fillets instead of the chicken breasts and finish the risotto with chopped tarragon.